Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Rainy Season etc

My, my, time flies. A lot going on, so it's time for a lightning round of your questions/my random observations that haven't made it into other posts!

1. Hannah is here! She arrived almost two weeks ago now, has settled in amongst the bugs, and is looking for a job, with some successful leads so far. For all you blog junkies, she has her own at http://interestingencounters.blogspot.com

2. I've caught my first tropical disease! Ok, ok, perhaps that's a bit of an exagerration, but all my friends here exchange stories of malaria, giardia, bilharzia etc like its nothing, and I was feeling left out. So I went and got myself the flu. Or something that kept me in bed for 48 hours with body temperature "so high you could grill cheese between my legs"

3. I have hobbies! We joined the pool/tennis club at the Novotel. The courts are clay, the coaches/lessons are cheap and it seems to be a social center for expats.

4. It's now the short rainy season, which means it's slightly hotter during the morning, then at some point in the afternoon will rain for an hour or three - sometimes a sprinkle, sometimes a veritable downpour the likes of which I haven't seen in my life. Then the rest of the afternoon/evening is quite cool. This should last for a month or two, then back to dry.

5. Buffet restaurants seem to be very popular here. They usually consist of: bananas, fried plantain, sweet potatoes, Irish potatoes, a meet dish, a vegetable succotash (usually pea and carrot based), avocadoes, tomatoes and then fruit. And sometimes French fries. Mmmm.

6. There is basically no Diet Coke here. Coke everywhere, Fanta everywhere (orange and lemon), but no Diet Coke. You can buy cans of it in the two expat grocery stores I know (at a hefty price premium over Coke), but in restaurants, regular stores, etc - non-existent.

Any questions for the next lightning round can be submitted in the comments!

1 comment:

Guy de Fritkot said...

Hi shanky, my addrss is garronhansen @ gmail dot com