Friday, August 10, 2007

Last Day of Work...and some inspiration

Well, it's here. Done. Finito. Etc. I'm leaving soon to head over to the office and turn in my computer, phone and home printer/fax/scanner/probably could counterfeit money too if I knew how to work it properly machine. All the implements of modern slavery. Just kidding, everyone here knows that I love being connected all the time and some may even say I have a slight problem...

I won't go into my very mixed feelings on McKinsey in too great of detail. Maybe after the perspective of a few months. I will say its a place where you can learn incredibly, incredibly quickly. And, it also can be a real grind. And even within my small start group, people have had wildly varying experiences, so luck plays a big role. Some fantastic people are there, and it was great to have been a part of it all for a short while.

The theme of the Brussels office in 2007 was inspirational leadership. Granted, I liked the fluffy classes in business school, and I am a definite F on the Meyers-Briggs, but I thought this was a fantastic idea. I went to a two day training with Hannah on becoming an inspirational leader, where the purpose was to really study your own needs, beliefs and values - without knowing yourself, you can't inspire others. I think what it comes down to is that I am hoping to find more meaning in the next job. Someday I would like to think that someone might consider me inspiring, but for now, I'll settle for finding a bit more inspiration myself.

And, in a fantastic segue combining Rwanda AND inspiration to end this post, I am going to link to a video of Bill Clinton (definitely an inspirational leader) talking about his dream of building a health care system in Rwanda. A 24 minute video, but worth the time. Thanks to my colleague Fred for passing it along.
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/85

1 comment:

Tamara said...

Garron, I hope you do follow up on your perspectives on McK when a little time has passed. I've been on the outside for more than a year and I still have trouble answering the question, "Are you glad to have worked at McKinsey?".

It's true that McK can offer a magical, gifted experience, but one that takes an incredible toll. To be blunt, I'm just grateful that my marriage survived. Perhaps I'd be more positive if I had managed to avoid gaining 30 pounds!

Take care as you venture on this next wave of your career and personal development. I look forward to hearing about your adventures.