Thursday, September 20, 2007

Creepy crawly

In some of my pre-move research, I'd read that Rwanda was sometimes referred to as "Africa light" because it didn't get as hot or as buggy as some of the steamier parts of the continent.

So, I thought I'd be living alone in my house until Hannah's arrival. I was wrong. I have many roommates, with many legs.

Sure, there are mosquitos everywhere, and I'd been prewarned about the little ants that are omnipresent and impossible to get rid of - when I saw them coming out of a miniscule chink in the kitchen wall tile, I thought, How Industrious. They keep to their little area in there, and I keep to mine - a good arrangement. And, the small green lizards I've seen on the walls are old hat - they are all over SEAsia and I think kind of cool. So far so good.

It started going slightly downhill when I first noticed the caterpillars crawling on the floor, leaving a slimy trail. Not cool. Really not cool when I woke up one morning with one on the wall directly behind my bed. That was responsible for a night of constantly waking up feeling something crawling on me. That hasn't lasted thankfully.

One morning I woke up and was going to work, and in the living room saw a dead cricket. And there were my friends the ants, swarming the carcass in the hundreds.

All of this I was handling pretty well. But the worst part was the other day - I came home from work, went to the kitchen, opened the refrigerator, and the biggest cockroach I have ever seen came scurrying down the side. I'd like to say I handled this well, but to be honest, I shrieked like a little girl and went running into the hallway. After a few seconds and a lot more screaming and the feeling that my entire nervous system had just lit up like the 4th of July (or 21st of July for you Belgians reading this), I realized that I had left the fridge door open and certainly didn't want that critter running in THERE! So I ran back into the kitchen, slammed the door, saw the roach again, screamed a bit more for good measure and at this point for old time's sake, stepped on the roach, and ran out!

8 comments:

hannah said...

Merde- The flight is non-refundable. Just kidding. Alas, I am still coming, despite your best efforts to dissuade me with this talk of creepy crawlies. He doesn't know it yet, but Edouard's security detail will soon include an emergency response bug killing system. And how would you feel about erecting an impervious iron fortress somewhere in the house? Something like a Panic Room.

Erin said...

Well my dear, I have to tell you, this is me:

Oh shit, it feels like something is crawling on me. Oh shit, thats because something IS crawling on me. Damn these [insert animal here, often microscopic ants].

It takes me about a month back in the US before I stop having that reaction.

Any just a friendly heads up...if you leave your dirty undies accessible to the ants, they WILL eat holes through it. its awful. unspeakable really.

Erin said...

But I have, to my knowledge at least, never had a cockroach crawling on me. I have heard people waking up with them on me. I prefer to think those incredibly intelligent little survivors and I have an "understanding." like the way the mob has an understanding: keep to your side or I will totally F*ing annihilate your species.

Amita and Sujay said...

ROFL...this is one of the funniest posts I've read...maybe its because I can relate all too well...brought back memories of my summers in India as a kid. The lizards are cool, everything else, not so cool.

Kitty said...

Wow, this is giving me second thoughts about visiting! Not really. Well, sort of. The one time I worked up the nerve to kill a cockroach in Cuba, I stepped on it then left my flip-flop in the room as I ran out screaming. My roommate had to scrape the dead roach off my sandal.

Unknown said...

You need a bug wand

Tamara said...

Garron, as I learn more about you, I realize that we are cut from the same cloth.

While in Philly, some cockroaches moved into my grad towers apartment. I called the exterminator and moved out. Moved out, full stop. Gavin Fernandez (WG04) swept up the cockroach carcasses and sounded the all clear when it was safe to return.

I tell you this for one reason: if you've lived in Filthidelpia, you can handle Africa. OK, a bit of a leap, but I have faith in you.

Unknown said...

Garron,
I hope you have taken care of getting rids of the beasts, before Hannah arrived yesterday evening!