Sunday, September 2, 2007

Settling In

I don't even know where to continue, a million things are happening on a million fronts. Maybe I'll do a lightning round of questions I've been asked:

Language: So, the first language of most people here is Kinyarwanda. OTF offers classes in this, but it is one of the most difficult languages in the world to learn. As a former Belgian colony, French is widely spoken in the cities. However, there is also a movement towards English, as during the genocide millions of people fled to Anglophone neighboring countries (Tanzania, Uganda, etc) and learned English there. The President is one, apparently, so English has momentum. For me, I speak French with the people who work in my house, although one of the guards speaks only Kinyarwanda so we just do a little Ca va? Ca va! In general I've been just trying Bonjour hello and seeing which language people respond in. I'd say its 75/25 French/English. At work in the office its English.

House: I've moved in! It's a brick rancher, or what I think is called a rancher but I'm not exactly sure what that is, actually. Its one-story, with a main hallway, a kitchen that has been stocked with all the basics - even peanut butter, take that Brussels! At the moment there are three staff - Melanie, the cook and housekeeper, Edouard, the night guard, and Sombiri, the day guard/yard guy. Its funny, I don't even have keys to the house - one of them is there 24/7 to let me in. They seem very nice. I haven't quite gotten used to the idea of it yet though...

Work: In general I want to avoid writing too much about work. Partially because McK beat client confidentiality into my head, party because it probably won't be too interesting on a regular basis (to you that is, to me, hopefully it will be!). I officially start tomorrow, but I've come into the office a few times to meet with people, my new boss, etc. I will be mainly working on the strategy for the coffee industry. So start buying Rwandan coffee!

Things I've done: Gone to the awards ceremony for the Rwandan Golden Cup 2007. This is an event put on by the coffee industry that attracts an international jury of cuppers (professionally trained coffee tasters) to find the best coffee in Rwanda. Washing station owners submit their samples that are tasted by this jury, and they rate the coffees. There was entertainment consisting of a local dance troupe/drum band that was awesome!! It was held at the Hotel des Mille Collines, one of the three big international hotels in town, and the one that was the subject of Hotel Rwanda (which I still haven't seen, I know, I know, terrible).

Food: The food has been surprisingly good and varied. There are a ton of restaurants of every cuisine - Indian, CHinese, French, Belgian, Thai, etc, and I had a fantastic pizza!

Weather: 80, sunny, breezy, perfect.

Time difference: Same as Brussels, 1 hour ahead of London, 6 ahead of East Coast USA, 9 ahead of West Coast USA

Ok, that's all I can think of for the moment...ask specific questions if you got em! Oh, and I got the bank account - well, she called and said its open at least! Talk soon...

1 comment:

space monkey said...

peanut butter stocked!
man!