Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The News That Has Kigali Abuzz

From People magazine....I feel it could spark an intellectual debate on the role of celebrities in society, whether any attention is good attention, can fame play a role in economic development, etc. But....Paris Hilton?!?!? I can't bring myself to comment. Readers, thoughts?

It's not the typical sort of hot spot she's used to, but Paris Hilton says that she's planning to hit the road to Rwanda. Apparently making good on her post-jail promise to help others, the socialite, 26, tells E! Online about her African ambitions, "I'll be going in November, after I get back from filming my movie. There's so much need in that area, and I feel like if I go, it will bring more attention to what people can do to help." Though a trouble spot of notorious proportions – an infamous 1994 genocide in Rwanda claimed about a million lives (in a nation of 9 million) – the country's multitude of problems doesn't seem to worry Hilton, who vows to pay calls upon a variety of beleaguered regions. "I want to visit more countries where poverty and children's issues are a big concern," she says. "I know there's a lot of good I can do just by getting involved and bringing attention to these issues." Hilton reportedly will visit Rwanda at the invitation of Scott Lazerson, whose year-old Playing for Good charity assists celebrities and high-profile business personalities in getting involved with organizations that benefit those in need. Hilton's Rwanda trip will also cap a busy September, during which she's been in Toronto filming her upcoming movie Repo! The Genetic Opera, partying at the MTV Video Music Awards in Las Vegas and hitting a slew of Emmy parties in Los Angeles.

4 comments:

LL said...

I am enthralled by your blog and your last few posts really made me laugh. I'm trying to picture what your new life must be like! I am definitely down for drinks when you're here...send me an email when you're planning and we'll set something up! ~W

p.s. Boogle...hilarious

space monkey said...

oh please! what a publicity stunt!!

hannah said...

who said you can't get your celebrity fix in rwanda?!?

Guy de Fritkot said...

hey LL! will def be in touch.

spacemonkey - yeah, a definite publicity stunt (for her). but, will it still bring attention, even in some sick twisted way. and is there any value in that? or is it just sick and twisted?

when i said kigali was abuzz, i should clarify - all the expats. ive talked to 3 locals, none of whom had any idea who she was. interesting.