Sunday, September 16, 2007

Domestic Life

So, as a result of nothing terribly exciting happening lately, I'll share some of the more mundane details of my life in Kigali by answering come questions I've gotten in emails.

My "staff." First, that's weird to get used to, the idea of having 3 people have their full time job be related to my house. The two guards are named Edouard and Sombiri. Edouard is the night guard (6pm-6am, 7 days/wk), and Sombiri takes the other half. I was given the option of having armed guards, but I haven't seen a single other house with one, so I thought a) I don't like guns and b) it would give the impression there is something inside worth stealing, so they are unarmed. I often wonder if the armed guards would have been these same two guys, just with guns, or if there are more...highly trained armed guards. Don't get me wrong, these guys are nice, but I can't see either of them harming a fly.

Edouard is perhaps 70. And he moves slow. And the word frail comes to mind. He has taken over the garage, put a bed and radio in there, and I can hear him playing the radio if I am in the dining room or kitchen -he listens to news in Kinyarwanda or French, and often very Gregorian chant sounding music, and sometimes what sounds like more current African music.

Sombiri is I would guess 16. I haven't talked to him much because I am not around too often during the day. And the fact that he doesn't speak French or English complicates things. So I can't give you many details about him. He always has a huge smile on his face. But, he washes my car every morning! It seems like such a waste since its such a piece of crap, and you can't avoid dust here.

Of course, there is a part of me that thinks, how can I have guards who are either senior citizens or should be in school. Why isn't he in school? I casually mentioned to a coworker that it was hard communicating with him because of the language barrier, and the coworker was shocked that he was hired - suspects that maybe the office manager gave the job to the son of a friend. But, I don't want to say anything because I have no idea of the circumstances and certainly don't want to be responsible for someone losing their job. Maybe when I start Kinyarwanda classes I can practice with him and get some information.

Then there is the housekeeper/cook, Melanie. She is my favorite, because she speaks English and French, and leaves me funny little notes around the house explaining things or asking me questions. The company pays her directly, and also gives her money to go grocery shopping, so I am completely at the mercy of what she cooks me. Though I did stress, NO FISH in about 6 responses to her notes.

What she cooks though is usually excellent. Usually a salad with lots of vegetables, and then a rice/meat/sauce dish. The beef is good, usually in a tomato sauce. Chicken with peanut sauce. Pasta casseroles on the weekends. Meatballs and onions. I can't always identify it, but its usually great!

I think this week I am going to ask her to pack me a lunch, because I feel like it takes so much time for me to go home (the commute is only 5 minutes, but she serves the meal course by course, no one rushes anything here!), and while I'm at the table she serves me like a waitress which just feels ridiculous.

3 comments:

space monkey said...

i love your blog! keep it up!!!

Guy de Fritkot said...

awwwwwwww thanks monkey. i miss the bru crew!

space monkey said...

we miss you too! can you write about the bugs there? i hear they are fascinating... :D